MEDAN, Indonesia — Several NGOs in Indonesia’s North Sumatra province have established a joint team of legal experts to focus on addressing environmental crimes in the region. “This team is…
The sustainability and legality claims of the largest plywood importer in the US have come under question after it was found to have received shipments of Malaysian plywood worth more…
A team of marine mammal experts is searching for the last vaquitas (Phocoena sinus) in the Gulf of California. They’ve gathered in northern Mexico, at the invitation of the government…
The conservation NGO WWF UK is calling on consumers to cut back the amount of meat they eat. Land used to produce feed crops for livestock and farmed fish threatens…
In the Cordillera del Cóndor mountains of southern Ecuador, a copper mining project has incited numerous confrontations between Chinese mining company EXSA and the Shuar indigenous community, which both claim…
n the summer of 2013, as Indonesian fires enveloped the region in a toxic haze, public ire settled on plantation firms as prime culprits in the disaster. Burning land to…
Part four in a five-part series on the attitudes of palm oil financiers towards company sustainability. Read the first, second, third and fifth installments. he previous article in this series discussed the role of governments and regulators…
This is the second story in a three-part series exploring changes in Indonesia’s network of marine protected areas through the lens of Wakatobi National Park. Read the first one here.…
Work together. Be creative. Prioritize. Keep an open mind. The key recommendations from two reviews on strategies for deploying “information age” technologies for nature conservation.
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- For Papuan villagers practicing conservation, a bid to formalize the familiar
- In rural Indonesia, a village learns to embrace its forest through sustainability
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
- Cash for conservation: Do payments for ecosystem services work?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- Latin America-Europe trade pact to include historic indigenous rights clause
- Militarization and mining a dangerous mix in Venezuelan Amazon
- Ferrogrão grain railway threatens Amazon indigenous groups, forest
- DNA analysis shows Sumatran rhinos peaked during last Ice Age, never recovered
- Petition for Indonesian government to save Sumatran rhino garners global support
- Biofuel project near India’s rhino heartland sparks protests
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains