The Brazilian government has revised upward its estimate for the extent of Amazon rainforest destroyed last year. Figures released last week by Brazil's National Space Research Agency (INPE) put Amazon…
This month, Ash Dykes is setting off on a 1,800-mile trek along the length of Madagascar to attract conservation attention to the critically endangered northern sportive lemur.
Global forest loss amounted to 18.7 million hectares (46 million acres) in 2014, a decline of about 9 percent relative to 2013 and 20 percent compared to 2012, according to…
Malaysian police requested INTERPOL to place Clare Rewcastle-Brown on its international "Red Notice" after she reported on corruption allegedly involving Malaysia's prime minister. But INTERPOL has refused to do so.
Conservationists and industry stakeholders suggest long and short-term solutions to increase India's uptake of sustainable palm oil.
A Chinese company is planning a 24-year drilling project in a major national park in Argentina, attracting condemnation from conservation groups and local communities.
Will India use its influence as the world's top importer of palm oil to push sustainability?
One degree of warming would drastically reduce the habitat of nearly all of the region's endemic vertebrates, according to a recent study.
halers from St. Vincent and the Grenadines recently caught four killer whales, raising health concerns over the consumption of cetacean meat as well as new scrutiny of the Caribbean country's exemption…
A recent report discusses how regreening may offer a possible solution to the chronic economic and political instability in some regions of Africa.
Indigenous small-scale miners and traditional authorities in western Colombia are facing threats in the wake of a local leader’s murder this spring. On April 7, 2015, Fernando Salazar Calvo was…
Researchers have found a new species in the cloud forests of the Peruvian Andes.
On July 16, all five countries bordering the Arctic Ocean — the United States, Norway, Canada, Denmark, and Russia — signed an agreement that prohibits commercial fishing in the international…
Between June 24 and July 13, no fewer than three carcasses of endangered North Atlantic right whales were found floating in Canadian waters in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. With…
Year-round, supermarket refrigerators, freezers, and shelves are stocked with bountiful supplies of affordable fish, but at what price to the environment and human wellbeing? Last month, the advocacy group Greenpeace released…
How is it that this “singing, swinging” great gibbon, with the retro, roaring ‘20s hairstyle, isn’t a primate conservation rock star?
et other Wilmar suppliers are alleged to have cleared rainforest in violation of the palm oil giant’s sustainability policy, but this time the allegations hit closer to home. A new…
ivil society groups are calling for the palm-oil sector’s primary certification body to follow up on an investigation by the Wall Street Journal which provides evidence of slavery on plantations…
A win for Siberian tigers came last week as a major logging company, together with local authorities and an international conservation NGO, announced plans to dismantle unused logging roads in part of the Russian Far East. They hope this move will make it harder for poachers to access the last refuge of the world's largest cats.
An Indonesian organization dedicated to conserving one of the world’s richest expanses of tropical rainforest is pushing for the rezoning of a crucial wildlife corridor where human encroachment and the…
- Murder of activist in India highlights growing risk to environmental defenders
- Number of murdered environmental activists rose once again in 2017
- Indonesia to investigate death of journalist being held for defaming palm oil company
Indonesias forest guardians
- Papuan chef Charles Toto serves up sustainability and environmental protection in a platter
- In eastern Indonesia, a forest tribe pushes back against miners and loggers
- Faith in the forest helps Indonesia’s Dayaks keep plantations, loggers at bay
- Forest communities pay the price for conservation in Madagascar
- Conservation Effectiveness series sparks action, dialogue
- Response to critique on Conservation Effectiveness series (commentary)
- Brazilian elections and the environment: where top candidates stand
- Community-run trading posts help Amazon forest people reverse rural exodus
- Ruralists in Brazilian congress put nation’s protected areas at risk
- In protecting the Javan rhino, locals gain a ‘more meaningful life’
- Rhino poop gives villagers in India a conservation incentive
- In its fight against rhino poachers, India lets the dogs out
- Indonesia, a top plastic polluter, mobilizes 20,000 citizens to clean up the mess
- As Bali reclamation project dies, activists seek conservation status
- Another mass fish kill hits Indonesia’s largest lake