An adult male yellow-tailed woolly monkey (Lagothrix flavicauda) in northeastern Peru. Photo credit: Sam Shanee. Community conservation projects — initiatives that actively involve local people in conservation efforts — have…
Articles by Joanna Parkman
Oceans not only provide important ecosystem services, including climate regulation and nutrient cycling, but they also serve as a major contributor to food and jobs. Yet human actions in the…
Tropical forests provide countless goods and services that help sustain human life. Given the rapid conversion of forests to agricultural lands, scientists say it is critical that we prioritize conservation…
In 1970 researchers uncovered the Tandayapa Andean toad (Andinophryne olallai), previously unknown to science, in the Pichincha Province of Ecuador. Given that only a single individual was discovered, even after…
When assessing the status of an endangered species, conservationists often take into account environmental factors, such as threats to habitat, and behavioral patterns of breeding and feeding. Increasingly, scientists also…
Sai Yok bent-toed gecko found on forested hill near Myanmar border, researchers think more species await discovery in biodiverse region A research team based in western Thailand has discovered a…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- In a Papuan district, tribes push to revive a legacy of sustainability
- In rural Indonesia, women spearhead the fight to protect nature
- Do protected areas work in the tropics?
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads, dams and railways: Ten infrastructure stories from Southeast Asia in 2017
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Record Amazon fires, intensified by forest degradation, burn indigenous lands
- Venezuela’s Mining Arc boom sweeps up Indigenous people and cultures
- Study: Amazon dams are disrupting ecologically vital flood pulses
- Indonesian ex-soldier among three jailed for illegal trade in Sumatran rhino, tiger parts
- Glimmer of hope as Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino shows signs of recovery
- Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino falls ill
- Indonesia seeks to slap money-laundering label on illegal fishing
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi