Researchers have fitted tiny geolocator tag backpacks on prothonotary warblers to learn their migration routes and create effective warbler conservation plans.
A German national was apprehended at the international airport in Jakarta as he tried to smuggle eight earless monitor lizards from Borneo out of the country. It was not the…
A recent study, published in BioScience, details successful efforts by local citizens to monitor natural resources, and finds that citizens do the job just as effectively as trained scientists. The…
Wild cats — from the small jaguarundi to the large jaguar — are elusive animals. They usually prowl about at night, are difficult to detect, and merge with the background…
A researcher’s mission to keep people and elephants out of harm’s way in Kenya’s Trans-Mara District
PhD student Lydia Tiller researches elephants’ use of increasingly crowded space to help reduce conflict between them and the rapidly expanding farming communities of Kenya’s Trans-Mara District.
Linking environmental and animal movement data sets: how the Movebank Env-DATA System helps to explain snowy owl foraging behavior
Researchers used this free online platform to better understand effects of climate and other environmental data on animal movements and predator-prey interactions.
Remote photography, taken using robots or remote cameras, may help researchers studying animals in dens, cavities, and difficult-to-access terrain.
As an alternative to costly, heavy GPS tracking technology for monitoring presence of small animals, Dr. Eli Bridge at the University of Oklahoma has developed a customizable Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) reader that you can build yourself on the cheap.
Altamira municipality. Courtesy of Google Earth. Brazilian municipalities are planning to use drones to map properties and monitor forest cover as they move to step up enforcement of the country's…
Call recognition for animals. New technology makes it possible to automatically identify species by their vocalizations. The software and hardware system, detailed in the current issue of the journal PeerJ,…
Drones have been getting a bad rap lately and for good reason. However in the state of Assam, these commonly used weapons of warfare are being used to monitor the…
Orangutan as photographed by a conservation drone. Courtesy of Lian Pin Koh. Google.org, Google Corp's philanthropic arm, earlier this month pledged $5 million toward efforts combat wildlife poaching. The grant…
- Fighting to save an endangered ape, Indonesian activists fear for their lives
- Iran sentences eight conservationists convicted of spying
- Watchdog denounces arrests of four anti-mining activists in Indonesia
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Database offers new details on the dams that hold mining waste
- Xavante tribe digs in as Brazil reneges on vow not to build a road in their reserve
- Vale has filed hundreds of requests to exploit indigenous lands in Amazon
- Indonesia-WWF split puts rhino breeding project in Borneo in limbo
- Indonesian officials wield sharia law in defense of Sumatran rhinos
- Love triangle complicates efforts to breed Sumatran rhinos
- Investigation reveals loopholes for illegal shark fin exports from Indonesia
- Video: Mika Ganobal, the civil servant who risked his job to save his homeland
- ‘Just like terrorists’: Indonesia boosts vigilance for blast fishers