Steven Kotler is a leading thinker on how technology can be employed to halt the global loss of biodiversity. Recently the prolific author and journalist convened a weekend forum for…
Conservation Drones News
In recent years, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have increasingly been used to monitor wildlife populations from above, but artificial intelligence has taken drone technology one step further. Koala populations are…
YANGON, Myanmar – Conservation work in Myanmar has been met with various challenges such as limited funding, an unstable political situation and poor management plans for forest reserves. Now, a…
A new study finds that small unmanned aerial vehicles — also known as UAVs or drones — can help reduce the kinds of human-wildlife conflict that often lead to the…
Want to make a million dollars? Find the most efficient way to map Indonesia’s peatlands. That’s the ticket to winning the Indonesian Peat Prize, announced by the cartographically challenged Southeast…
n December 12, 2015 representatives from 196 nations approved the Paris Agreement to address the challenges of climate change. Proponents praised the agreement as a long-term pathway to curbing global…
A collaborative effort in the American West is using Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS, or drones) to map and evaluate prairie dog habitat for black-footed ferret restoration.
Greenpeace has released dramatic drone video footage showing burning forests and smoldering peatlands in Borneo. The video shows fires burning on peatlands, rainforests, and oil palm plantations surrounding Gunung Palung…
With fire-driven haze casting a pall over Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore, the palm oil industry is facing intense pressure to clean up its act. While most big companies have adopted…
The Conservation Drones Summit hosted by the California Academy of Sciences is being streamed live on Periscope by Bryson Voirin. You can watch here. You can also follow the event…
A security expert explains drones for different conservation missions.
Simple, automated speaker systems can help keep elephants out of agricultural areas Elephants in Namibia. The search for effective measures to reduce human-elephant conflict is a top priority for wildlife…
Modern day signs of human activity in the Amazon rainforest. Courtesy of NASA. Click to enlarge. Researchers are planning to use drones equipped with vegetation-penetrating lasers to scan the Amazon…
Altamira municipality. Courtesy of Google Earth. Brazilian municipalities are planning to use drones to map properties and monitor forest cover as they move to step up enforcement of the country's…
One of the coolest endeavors I've come across in recent years of reporting has been the effort to develop "conservation drones" — model aircraft that are now being used to…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- For Papuan villagers practicing conservation, a bid to formalize the familiar
- In rural Indonesia, a village learns to embrace its forest through sustainability
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
- Cash for conservation: Do payments for ecosystem services work?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- Latin America-Europe trade pact to include historic indigenous rights clause
- Militarization and mining a dangerous mix in Venezuelan Amazon
- Ferrogrão grain railway threatens Amazon indigenous groups, forest
- DNA analysis shows Sumatran rhinos peaked during last Ice Age, never recovered
- Petition for Indonesian government to save Sumatran rhino garners global support
- Biofuel project near India’s rhino heartland sparks protests
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains