BONN, Germany – A few weeks ago, international scientists, government officials and forest advocates visiting a remote community in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) confirmed the presence of…
When it comes to restoring deforested landscapes, letting them regenerate naturally through passive means is generally cheaper than human-driven, so-called “active,” restoration techniques like re-planting. But a new study finds…
Scientists have issued a second warning of impending doom for the natural world if humanity does not make significant changes in how we treat the planet. The warning is presented…
There was standing-room-only at a COP23 event as the world watched U.S. senators, governors, mayors and corporations take on responsibility shirked by Trump and federal government.
Lokolama barely registers on atlases and maps. The small Pygmy village, home to a few hundred people, lies deep in the Congo Basin rainforest 48 kilometers (30 miles) south of…
With COP23 well underway, scientists warn that President Temer’s policies could doom the Amazon and Brazil’s Paris goals, while destabilizing the global climate.
As COP23 negotiators meet in Bonn, indigenous and rural leaders warn that time is running out to protect global forests — a crucial hedge against perilous global warming.
Grassland researchers attending the COP23 climate summit opening in Bonn next week could urge creation of REDD-style initiatives to encourage savanna conservation.
Last year the world lost an area of tree cover the size of New Zealand, according to satellite data. That’s around 29.7 million hectares (297,000 square kilometers) – and was…
Forests cover about 40 million square kilometers – around 30 percent – of the Earth’s surface. They provide habitat for countless species, as well as important ecosystem services for human…
Donald Trump has proposed reducing U.S. foreign aid and U.N. support for climate change programs to zero, with possible repercussions in Africa.
ISIMICHINI, Kenya — In the 10 years Arthur Inzofu has been growing oil palm trees at his farm in Isimichini village in western Kenya, he has seen few benefits. But…
As nations attempt to hedge against the worst effects of global warming by scaling back their carbon emissions, a new study is questioning the accuracy of a pivotal "pre-industrial" measurement…
USULUTAN PROVINCE, El Salvador – “Without the mangroves, we couldn’t live here,” says José Antonio Hernández. “We wouldn’t have any water.” He is standing on a rare dry patch of…
- Madagascar environmental activist convicted, sentenced — and paroled
- Another Madagascar environmental activist imprisoned
- Indigenous group scores legal victory as dam floods their lands
Para penjaga hutan
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Why the Suy’uk are fact-checking their Dayak origin myth
- Merabu’s efforts to keep the carbon in its trees
- Government revokes 406 mining permits in Indonesia’s East Kalimantan
- Indonesia coal power push neglects rural households, chokes urban ones
- ‘Queen of Coal’ named corruption suspect in Indonesia
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- New study: Risky roads cause more than just environmental harm
- From carbon sink to source: Brazil puts Amazon, Paris goals at risk
- As negotiators meet in Bonn, Brazil’s carbon emissions rise
- Indigenous lands at risk, as Amazon sellout by Brazil’s Temer continues (commentary)
- A tranquilizer shortage is holding back rhino management plans in India
- The fate of the Sumatran rhino is in the Indonesian government’s hands
- Is anyone going to save the Sumatran rhino?
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains
- Second Irrawaddy dolphin death in Borneo linked to fishing nets