Handheld, palm-sized, lightweight DNA preparation and sequencing devices are coming your way soon.
Since its founding, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) has been on the forefront of conservation science, and in recent years the group has been applying remote sensing, mobile phone technologies,…
Global Forest Watch enables you to monitor tree cover and forest change for your region of interest in a free online platform.
Satellite analysis reveals tiger habitats are more intact than expected; an area large enough to double the wild tiger population remains
Cross River gorillas benefit from reduced threat and strengthened law enforcement thanks in part to mobile data collection, management and analysis with CyberTracker monitoring.
From Laos to Belize, forest personnel use the Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool (SMART) to more efficiently anticipate and combat wildlife crime.
Linking environmental and animal movement data sets: how the Movebank Env-DATA System helps to explain snowy owl foraging behavior
Researchers used this free online platform to better understand effects of climate and other environmental data on animal movements and predator-prey interactions.
Orangutan as photographed by a conservation drone. Courtesy of Lian Pin Koh. Google.org, Google Corp's philanthropic arm, earlier this month pledged $5 million toward efforts combat wildlife poaching. The grant…
- Brazilian Amazon protected areas ‘in flames’ as land-grabbers invade
- Fires in the Pantanal: ‘We are facing a scenario now that is catastrophic’
- Understaffed and under threat: Paraguay’s park rangers pay the ultimate price
- No choice: Why communities in Paraguay are cutting down forests to survive
- Study: Chinese ‘dark fleets’ illegally defying sanctions by fishing in North Korean waters
- Game changer? Antarctic ice melt related to tropical weather shifts: Study
- Dorsal de Nasca: Peru pledges to create a huge new marine reserve
- Science-backed policy boosts critically endangered Nassau grouper
- More than 260 major, mostly illegal Amazon fires detected since late May
- Is Chinese investment driving a sharp increase in jaguar poaching?
- As Amazon tree loss worsens, political pressure grows, and Brazil hedges: Critics
- Brazil dismantles environmental laws via huge surge in executive acts: Study
Land rights and extractives
- Mining industry releases first standard to improve safety of waste storage
- Canada not walking the talk on its miners’ abuses abroad, campaigners say
- New report asks, do land titles help poor farmers?
- World Bank-funded factory farms dogged by alleged environmental abuses
- Life as an Amazon activist: ‘I don’t want to be the next Dorothy Stang’
- In Philippines’ Palawan, top cop linked to assault on environmental officer
- Deaths, arrests and protests as Philippines re-emerges from lockdown
- In Brazil, COVID-19 outbreak paves way for invasion of indigenous lands
Indonesias forest guardians
- Why I stand for my tribe’s forest: It gives us food, culture, and life (commentary)
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Eavesdrop on forest sounds to effectively monitor biodiversity, researchers say
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian case highlights potential for long-term harms of corruption
- Indonesia approves coal road project through forest that hosts tigers, elephants
- Experts see environmental, social fallout in Indonesia’s infrastructure push
- Bornean farmers and fishers brace as a new port opens in their midst