The skull of America’s biggest cat in Iwokrama International Centre for Rainforest Conservation and Development in Guyana. Photo by: Tiffany Roufs. The jaguar (Panthera onca) is classified as Near Threatened…
Articles by jeremy-hance
For those living in North America, this animal is one of the most commonly sighted: the grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis). It is also an invasive species in Britain, Ireland, Italy,…
An unidentified species of tarantula laying eggs at night in Yasuni National Park in the Ecuadorian Amazon. More Ecuador photos.
A chestnut-breasted coronet hummingbird in Peru earlier this year. Photo by: Rhett Butler. The chestnut-breasted coronet (Boissonneaua matthewsii) is native to the Andean forests of Peru, Ecuador, Colombia. The species…
Walruses haul-out of the water en masse . Photo by: Baine Thorn/NOAA . Recent, unprecedented walrus haul-outs and increased instances of long-distance swims by polar bears show the direct impacts…
The World Bank has offered to help fund an alternative route for a planned road project that would otherwise cut through Tanzania's world famous Serengeti National Park, according to the…
Fruit stuffed in its mouth, this long-tailed macaque peeks at the photographer from a rooftop in Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler. To see other photos of the…
The giant leaf tailed gecko of Madagascar, Uroplatus fimbriatus, hangs out above a flying insect. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler. The giant leaf tailed gecko is threatened by deforestation and…
Cowboys in Colombia herd cattle across a river in the Choco-Darien forests. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler, 2010. To see other photos from the Choco-Darien forests of Colombia: Choco Darien.
Bats hang out in a limestone cave in Malaysia's Taman Negara National Park. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler, 2006. To see other photos from caves in Malaysia: Malaysian caves.
A Christian church in a logging camp in Guyana. Photo by: Jeremy Hance, 2008. To see other photos from Guyana: 2008 Trip to Guyana.
The Tad Lo waterfalls in Laos. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler, 2009. To see other photos of waterfalls from around the world: Waterfalls.
Hunters orphaned this baby giant anteater in Peru. Photo by Paul Rosolie. There are places in the Amazon that remain almost untouched by any kind of development. Animals here, according…
Wooden effigies of the dead line cliff walls at Lemo on the island of Sulawesi, Indonesia. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler. To see more photos from Sulawesi: Indonesian island of…
The giant tropical land snail Archachatina bicarinata. Photo courtesy of Martin Dallimer. The newest subject of our Forgotten Species series, Archachatina bicarinata is endemic to the islands of Sao Tome…
A beautiful tiger longwing butterfly (Heliconius hecale) in Tayrona National Park in Colombia. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler, 2010. First described in 1776, the species is found from Central America…
Jaguar skull in Guyana. Jaguars are the biggest cat in the Americas. Photo by: Tiffany Roufs. More Guyana photos.
An unidentified ground toad peeking out in Mato Grosso, Brazil. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler, 2009. If you have any information on this toad species please contact me. To see…
A cheetah rests on a termite mound in Kenya. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler. A three year study has found that cheetahs and African wild dogs have vanished from Cameroon.…
- ‘Pray & continue’: Death of Philippine ranger is latest in legacy of violence
- In Cambodia, a rare acquittal in a climate of danger for green activists
- On Peru’s border, the Tikuna tribe takes on illegal coca growers
Indonesias forest guardians
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- On the island of Java, a social forestry scheme creates jobs at home
- In Indonesia, bigger catches for a fishing village protecting its mangroves
- Chimps in Sierra Leone adapt to human-impacted habitats, but threats remain
- Community buy-in stamps out elephant poaching in Zambian park
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Yanomami Amazon reserve invaded by 20,000 miners; Bolsonaro fails to act
- Amazon infrastructure puts 68% of indigenous lands / protected areas at risk: report
- Amazon fish kill at Sinop spotlights risk from 80+ Tapajós basin dams
- Nepal to conduct, self-fund, rhino census in March 2020
- Calls for natural solution over man-made one in flood-ravaged rhino refuge
- Death on the Brahmaputra: The rhino, the rangers, and the usual suspects
- A pearl oyster farm in Bali aims to be a sustainable source of the jewel
- Uncovered coal barges are polluting North Sumatra’s waters
- For Indonesia’s Kendari Bay, silting is a death sentence