When a female Indian rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis), and then her daughter, died in India’s Burachapori Wildlife Sanctuary last year, conservationists were worried. The rhinos’ horns were intact, so they had…
Mongabay series: Conservation Effectiveness
Piles of wood lie in an open area behind the main office of the Arabari Reserve Forest in West Bengal, India. Long logs and cut planks of sal trees (Shorea…
As far as conservation strategies go, payments for ecosystem services (PES) are based on a relatively simple concept — perhaps deceptively simple. The idea behind PES is, essentially, to pay…
Tropical timber has earned a bad reputation. When we think of timber from lush, tropical forests, it conjures up images of valuable old-growth trees pillaged by logging companies and illegal…
How do you solve a conservation problem? Do you protect a wild leopard that has entered a village by removing it and releasing it into a forest far, far away?…
How do you save a species or protect a habitat? For the past few decades, scientists have been calling for an increased use of scientific evidence -- carefully controlled, peer-reviewed…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- For Papuan villagers practicing conservation, a bid to formalize the familiar
- In rural Indonesia, a village learns to embrace its forest through sustainability
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
- Cash for conservation: Do payments for ecosystem services work?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- Latin America-Europe trade pact to include historic indigenous rights clause
- Militarization and mining a dangerous mix in Venezuelan Amazon
- Ferrogrão grain railway threatens Amazon indigenous groups, forest
- DNA analysis shows Sumatran rhinos peaked during last Ice Age, never recovered
- Petition for Indonesian government to save Sumatran rhino garners global support
- Biofuel project near India’s rhino heartland sparks protests
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains