“Watching a rhino get tranquilized is indeed an experience to cherish. It is hard to imagine that such a powerful animal can become so vulnerable too,” says Dharanidhar Boro, an…
Mongabay series: Asian Rhinos
A fragile consensus to capture more rhinos has finally been reached, but one major roadblock remains: Indonesian officials.
Time is running out for this Critically Endangered species. So why aren’t we doing more?
Are the park's Sumatran rhinos getting better at hiding from humans, or have they simply disappeared?
Nobody knows exactly how many Sumatran rhinos survive in the wild. But the numbers aren't looking good.
How much can we learn about a species that is rarely ever spotted by humans? The Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) is among the rarest and most cryptic of mammal species.…
We take a closer look at the evidence for the effectiveness of forest certification schemes on this episode of the Mongabay Newscast. The first installment of Mongabay's new "Conservation Effectiveness"…
Born in the United States, Sumatran rhino Harapan is settling into his new home at Indonesia's Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary.
As the old saying warns, it's bad enough to put all your eggs in one basket. If you have to, though, at least try not to leave that basket sitting…
Ujung Kulon National Park, the only place Javan rhinos are known to survive, faces threats from human activity as well as natural disasters.
The devastating monsoons hitting South Asia this year haven't just affected the region's human populations. At least 15 greater one-horned rhinoceroses (Rhinoceros unicornis) have been swept across the Indo-Nepal border…
Environmental law enforcement authorities in Indonesia's Sumatra Island arrested three people on Aug. 13 in connection with the attempted sale of a rhino horn. A man identified by authorities as…
One of the last and largest remnants of tropical rainforest in Asia is under threat from multiple road development plans. This forest complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known as…
KATHMANDU, Nepal — When Nepal adopted a new constitution in September 2015, lawmakers anticipated conflict over the rights of ethnic minorities and women, the delineation of provincial boundaries and the…
ACEH, Indonesia — Police in western Indonesia are investigating an alleged wildlife trafficking network after a recent raid confiscated the hacked horn of a Critically Endangered Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis)…
Conservationists in Indonesia's Sumatra Island are working with local residents to combat forest fires, aiming to transform communities near Way Kambas National Park into forest protectors, rather than threats to…
KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK, India — Annual monsoon floods earlier this month inundated more than 70 percent of India's Kaziranga National Park, home to the world's largest population of greater one-horned…
This is the second in a two-part series on rhino conservation in Nepal's Chitwan National Park. Read Part One here. SAURAHA, Nepal — Upon arriving in Sauraha, the primary gateway…
This is the first in a two-part series on rhino conservation in Nepal's Chitwan National Park. The second article, focused on how conservation policies affect local communities, can be read…
India's northeastern state of Assam is taking steps to rein in wildlife crimes by speeding up prosecution and conviction of poachers. Thanks to new fast-track courts set up especially for…
Conservation in madagascar
- Madagascar court upholds sentence for environmental activist
- Lessons for developing countries in expansion of Madagascar’s protected area network
- ‘Rainbow’ chameleon among three new species described from Madagascar
Indonesias forest guardians
- Papuan chef Charles Toto serves up sustainability and environmental protection in a platter
- In eastern Indonesia, a forest tribe pushes back against miners and loggers
- Faith in the forest helps Indonesia’s Dayaks keep plantations, loggers at bay
- Conservation Effectiveness series sparks action, dialogue
- Response to critique on Conservation Effectiveness series (commentary)
- Seek higher standards to honestly assess conservation effectiveness (commentary)
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads might pose even bigger threat to Southeast Asian forests, biodiversity than previously understood
- Natural gas project that promised economic boom leaves PNG in ‘worse state’: report
- Sumatran habitat for tigers, orangutans gets a partial reprieve from development
- Raid fails to stop gold mining, death threats on Amazon’s Tropas River
- Dutch support soy transport mega-project, posing major risk to Amazon
- Attack of the turtles: ruralists assault environmental laws, Amazon
- Geneticists: It’s time to mix the Sumatran rhino subspecies
- Mining, erosion threaten Indian rhino haven
- Guardians of India’s rhinos find it takes a village to fight poachers
- There’s now an app for mapping seagrass, the oceans’ great carbon sink
- Shark fisheries hunting dolphins, other marine mammals as bait: Study
- Bust of shark smugglers in Galápagos waters leads to breakthrough in global transshipment data