“Watching a rhino get tranquilized is indeed an experience to cherish. It is hard to imagine that such a powerful animal can become so vulnerable too,” says Dharanidhar Boro, an…
Mongabay series: Asian Rhinos
A fragile consensus to capture more rhinos has finally been reached, but one major roadblock remains: Indonesian officials.
Time is running out for this Critically Endangered species. So why aren’t we doing more?
Are the park's Sumatran rhinos getting better at hiding from humans, or have they simply disappeared?
Nobody knows exactly how many Sumatran rhinos survive in the wild. But the numbers aren't looking good.
How much can we learn about a species that is rarely ever spotted by humans? The Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) is among the rarest and most cryptic of mammal species.…
We take a closer look at the evidence for the effectiveness of forest certification schemes on this episode of the Mongabay Newscast. The first installment of Mongabay's new "Conservation Effectiveness"…
Born in the United States, Sumatran rhino Harapan is settling into his new home at Indonesia's Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary.
As the old saying warns, it's bad enough to put all your eggs in one basket. If you have to, though, at least try not to leave that basket sitting…
Ujung Kulon National Park, the only place Javan rhinos are known to survive, faces threats from human activity as well as natural disasters.
The devastating monsoons hitting South Asia this year haven't just affected the region's human populations. At least 15 greater one-horned rhinoceroses (Rhinoceros unicornis) have been swept across the Indo-Nepal border…
Environmental law enforcement authorities in Indonesia's Sumatra Island arrested three people on Aug. 13 in connection with the attempted sale of a rhino horn. A man identified by authorities as…
One of the last and largest remnants of tropical rainforest in Asia is under threat from multiple road development plans. This forest complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known as…
KATHMANDU, Nepal — When Nepal adopted a new constitution in September 2015, lawmakers anticipated conflict over the rights of ethnic minorities and women, the delineation of provincial boundaries and the…
ACEH, Indonesia — Police in western Indonesia are investigating an alleged wildlife trafficking network after a recent raid confiscated the hacked horn of a Critically Endangered Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis)…
Conservationists in Indonesia's Sumatra Island are working with local residents to combat forest fires, aiming to transform communities near Way Kambas National Park into forest protectors, rather than threats to…
KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK, India — Annual monsoon floods earlier this month inundated more than 70 percent of India's Kaziranga National Park, home to the world's largest population of greater one-horned…
This is the second in a two-part series on rhino conservation in Nepal's Chitwan National Park. Read Part One here. SAURAHA, Nepal — Upon arriving in Sauraha, the primary gateway…
This is the first in a two-part series on rhino conservation in Nepal's Chitwan National Park. The second article, focused on how conservation policies affect local communities, can be read…
India's northeastern state of Assam is taking steps to rein in wildlife crimes by speeding up prosecution and conviction of poachers. Thanks to new fast-track courts set up especially for…
- Madagascar environmental activist convicted, sentenced — and paroled
- Another Madagascar environmental activist imprisoned
- Indigenous group scores legal victory as dam floods their lands
Para penjaga hutan
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Why the Suy’uk are fact-checking their Dayak origin myth
- Merabu’s efforts to keep the carbon in its trees
- Government revokes 406 mining permits in Indonesia’s East Kalimantan
- Indonesia coal power push neglects rural households, chokes urban ones
- ‘Queen of Coal’ named corruption suspect in Indonesia
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- New study: Risky roads cause more than just environmental harm
- From carbon sink to source: Brazil puts Amazon, Paris goals at risk
- As negotiators meet in Bonn, Brazil’s carbon emissions rise
- Indigenous lands at risk, as Amazon sellout by Brazil’s Temer continues (commentary)
- A tranquilizer shortage is holding back rhino management plans in India
- The fate of the Sumatran rhino is in the Indonesian government’s hands
- Is anyone going to save the Sumatran rhino?
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains
- Second Irrawaddy dolphin death in Borneo linked to fishing nets