MEDAN, Indonesia — A court in Indonesia has sentenced three men, including a former soldier, to two years in jail for illegally trading in body parts from a critically endangered…
Sumatran Rhino News
JAKARTA — Malaysia’s last remaining female Sumatran rhino appears to have overcome the worst of a serious health condition, less than two weeks after it was announced that her condition…
Iman, the last female Sumatran rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) in the Malaysian state of Sabah, has fallen seriously ill over the past few days due to bleeding in her uterus, authorities…
The critically endangered Sumatran rhino has been on an arc toward extinction for nearly 12,000 years now, according to a new study based on genome sequencing that also found the…
Over 100,000 people have signed an online petition calling for the Indonesian government to do more to save the Sumatran rhino from extinction. “It is imperative [that] the Indonesian government…
A fragile consensus to capture more rhinos has finally been reached, but one major roadblock remains: Indonesian officials.
Time is running out for this Critically Endangered species. So why aren’t we doing more?
Are the park's Sumatran rhinos getting better at hiding from humans, or have they simply disappeared?
Nobody knows exactly how many Sumatran rhinos survive in the wild. But the numbers aren't looking good.
Born in the United States, Sumatran rhino Harapan is settling into his new home at Indonesia's Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary.
Environmental law enforcement authorities in Indonesia's Sumatra Island arrested three people on Aug. 13 in connection with the attempted sale of a rhino horn. A man identified by authorities as…
One of the last and largest remnants of tropical rainforest in Asia is under threat from multiple road development plans. This forest complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known as…
ACEH, Indonesia — Police in western Indonesia are investigating an alleged wildlife trafficking network after a recent raid confiscated the hacked horn of a Critically Endangered Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis)…
Conservationists in Indonesia's Sumatra Island are working with local residents to combat forest fires, aiming to transform communities near Way Kambas National Park into forest protectors, rather than threats to…
Sumatran Rhino Puntung was euthanized early Sunday morning after being diagnosed last month with terminal squamous cell cancer. "Today is one of the saddest days we've ever faced," the Borneo…
Details of this interview are contested. The Sumatran rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) is extinct in the wild in Malaysia. But a recently published study sheds some light on what motivated poachers…
"After a week of grave concern, we have some positive news," the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA) announced today. "Puntung looks like she's getting better." Female Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) Puntung,…
UPDATE: Rare Malaysian rhino still sick, but showing signs of improvement Puntung, one of the last three Sumatran rhinos (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) known to survive in Malaysia, is critically ill with…
The story of a species with one of earth’s oldest mammal lineages, the Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis), is an illuminating chapter in the tale of what scientists are now calling…
In 2015, Malaysian officials publicly confirmed there were no wild rhinos left in Malaysia. It was grim news for the Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis), whose surviving population is now believed…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- In a Papuan district, tribes push to revive a legacy of sustainability
- In rural Indonesia, women spearhead the fight to protect nature
- Do protected areas work in the tropics?
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads, dams and railways: Ten infrastructure stories from Southeast Asia in 2017
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Venezuela’s Mining Arc boom sweeps up Indigenous people and cultures
- Study: Amazon dams are disrupting ecologically vital flood pulses
- Brazil 2018: Amazon under attack, resistance grows, courts to act, elections
- Indonesian ex-soldier among three jailed for illegal trade in Sumatran rhino, tiger parts
- Glimmer of hope as Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino shows signs of recovery
- Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino falls ill
- Indonesia seeks to slap money-laundering label on illegal fishing
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi