The climate crisis is bringing extreme storms, drought and temperatures to the High Plains, even as U.S. administrations from Clinton to Trump have withdrawn aid to reservations.
Articles by Saul Elbein
Presidents in Peru and Brazil, and construction firm Odebrecht, schemed to build 22 Marañón River dams; the people and the law defeated them; today the river flows free.
The Interior Dept. is holding the biggest oil lease sale ever next week, and trying to extend drilling to all U.S. coasts, but experts say Trump’s plan for “energy dominance” is economically and environmentally flawed.
In the Trump era, the Oglalla of South Dakota are setting up solar companies and alternative energy schools to train their people for a New Economy, leaping past enslavement to fossil fuels.
The Nebraska Public Service Commission has rejected TransCanada’s preferred tar sands pipeline route through the state, while okaying an alternate route that could mean years of legal hurdles.
As fossil fuel firms drive bitumen tar sands pipelines toward U.S. and Canadian coasts, a bold alliance of U.S. Native Peoples and Canadian First Nations is successfully blocking their way.
Trump’s 2018 budget, if adopted, threatens to kill already precarious Northwest salmon fisheries — crippling the local economies of US and Canadian communities and tribal nations.
n the mornings on the western edge of Camp of the Sacred Stones, the makeshift settlement of tribal and allied protesters trying to stop the Dakota Access pipeline, you can…
hen Joye Braun first got to North Dakota in early April, she found nothing but prairie wind howling over snow. An activist from the Cheyenne River Sioux who cut her…
mid headlines screaming about climate change and ecological collapse, it is easy to forget just how much nature is left. Two parallel rings of so-called “primary forest” — areas largely…
Editor’s note (22-Jan-2016): An earlier version of this story contained several errors that have now been corrected. See the end for a summary of the changes. n September 2015, a…
he monk parakeets were small and bright green, crowded, almost on top of each other in a cage the size of two stacked shoeboxes. It was a humid day in…
At 4,500 meters altitude, almost 15,000 feet, there are no trees; nothing at all to stop the icy wind blasting across the highlands of the southern Andes. Juan Yupanqui stands…
The rush for gold and other resources has lifted some poor Peruvians into the middle class, but at a terrible cost to the rainforest environment.
All across Peru, the central government and multinational corporations are coming up against fierce resistance from local rural communities opposed to large dam and mining projects
This is Alvaro Huaman, in the uniform of the ronda, with Jhuliño and his baby brother. Jhuliño's real name was Egler, but from a young age, he had been obsessed…
- Fighting to save an endangered ape, Indonesian activists fear for their lives
- Iran sentences eight conservationists convicted of spying
- Watchdog denounces arrests of four anti-mining activists in Indonesia
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Amazon’s Munduruku stage daring Christmas raid to recover sacred urns
- Belo Monte boondoggle: Brazil’s biggest, costliest dam may be unviable
- Amazon’s Mura indigenous group demands input over giant mining project
- Indonesian officials wield sharia law in defense of Sumatran rhinos
- Love triangle complicates efforts to breed Sumatran rhinos
- Indonesia to capture 3 wild Sumatran rhinos to add to breeding population
- To deter Chinese sea claims, Indonesia puts its fishers on the front line
- Deadly conditions for Indonesian migrant crews tied to illegal fishing
- Plan to lift baby lobster export ban draws fire in Indonesia