The UN Inter-American Commission on Human Rights upheld a motion filed by civil society organizations condemning Brazil’s continued development of the Belo Monte mega-dam.
Articles by Max Nathanson
Max Nathanson is a researcher and photojournalist passionate about infrastructure systems and holistic development. Follow him on Twitter @themaxnathanson.
Brazil’s Paiter-Suruí indigenous group has suspended indefinitely its previously highly successful forest conservation and carbon storage and offset project due to an invasion by illegal diamond miners.
The Norwegian mining giant has denied a new toxic spill in Brazil at its Alunorte aluminum refining facility, but admits to a “clandestine pipeline to discharge untreated effluent.”
Prominent government glacier researcher and four former Argentine environment secretaries charged with negligence in glacier studies that allegedly resulted in mine toxic spills.
Under President Correa, Ecuador partnered with China, building megaprojects like the Coca Codo Sinclair dam, with negative outcomes for local communities and the environment.
Environmentalists and indigenous people condemn Chinese owned Mirador and Panantza-San Carlos copper mines in Ecuador’s biodiverse Cordillera del Cóndor region.
- Arson attack in Indonesia leaves activist shaken
- For embattled environmental defenders, a reprieve of sorts in 2018
- 7 convicted of killing Honduran indigenous activist Berta Cáceres
Indonesias forest guardians
- Giant pines a tourist draw, cash cow for Yogyakarta farmers
- In West Papua, a development plan that doesn’t require clearing forest
- Smartphone app helps indigenous communities fight deforestation
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Eavesdrop on forest sounds to effectively monitor biodiversity, researchers say
- The nature of conservation evidence: Imperfect, but good enough (commentary)
- Bolsonaro government takes aim at Vatican over Amazon meeting
- Amazon at risk: Brazil plans rapid road and rail infrastructure expansion
- New appointments, new policies don’t bode well for Brazilian Amazon
- India-Nepal agreement to boost transborder conservation of rhinos, tigers
- Nepal court blocks road construction in rhino stronghold of Chitwan Park
- Conservation couture: Batik artisans make rhinos a fashion statement
- ‘Everything’s moving’: Indonesia seeks global pushback on illegal fishing
- Amid lack of enforcement, fishermen take the fight to blast fishing
- In an Indonesian village, compressor diving for fish is a dangerous business