Last week, Indonesia joined 81 other nations by signing United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change’s Paris Agreement, which replaces the Kyoto Protocol as the country’s commitment to reducing its…
Mongabay series: Southeast Asian infrastructure
Focusing on the social and environmental impacts of roads, dams, mines, and other infrastructure projects in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Papua New Guinea.
Driving down a winding road here in Indonesia’s North Sumatra province, one finally arrives at the sweeping vista of Lake Toba. Ringed with pine-studded hills, the volcanic lake was thronged…
Indonesia's Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Susi Pudjiastuti has publicly pledged to intervene in the case of Pulau Bangka, a tiny island off the northeastern tip of Sulawesi where…
A BuzzFeed News investigation has shined new light on the extent to which a secretive international legal system has enabled global mining companies to muscle their way into Indonesia’s last…
The Indonesian environment ministry has denied the Aceh provincial government’s proposal to rezone part of Mount Leuser National Park for geothermal development, reacting to opposition from conservationists who argued the…
The governor of Indonesia’s Aceh province is moving forward with a plan to rezone part of Mount Leuser National Park for geothermal development, despite opposition from conservationists who say the…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- In a Papuan district, tribes push to revive a legacy of sustainability
- In rural Indonesia, women spearhead the fight to protect nature
- Do protected areas work in the tropics?
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads, dams and railways: Ten infrastructure stories from Southeast Asia in 2017
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Record Amazon fires, intensified by forest degradation, burn indigenous lands
- Venezuela’s Mining Arc boom sweeps up Indigenous people and cultures
- Study: Amazon dams are disrupting ecologically vital flood pulses
- Indonesian ex-soldier among three jailed for illegal trade in Sumatran rhino, tiger parts
- Glimmer of hope as Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino shows signs of recovery
- Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino falls ill
- Indonesia seeks to slap money-laundering label on illegal fishing
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi