While surveying the rainforests of eastern Ghana’s Atewa mountain range, scientists stumbled upon a surprise as they were checking footage from their camera traps: monkeys with long tails and distinctive,…
New Discovery News
Scientists have described a new species of bird found only on the island of Rote in eastern Indonesia — but already the population of the honey-eating fowl is threatened by habitat…
A conservation area in western Borneo holds an unexpectedly rich population of the helmeted hornbill, a bird driven close to extinction by poaching for its distinctive casqued beak, a field…
As recently as a few thousand years ago, the Indonesian island of Sumba was home to miniature elephants, giant rats and dragons, according to fossil discoveries reported in a scientific…
The Indonesian island of Sulawesi’s unique fauna has received far more attention than its flora. But the authors of a study describing five new tree species — the first new…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- In a Papuan district, tribes push to revive a legacy of sustainability
- In rural Indonesia, women spearhead the fight to protect nature
- Do protected areas work in the tropics?
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads, dams and railways: Ten infrastructure stories from Southeast Asia in 2017
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Record Amazon fires, intensified by forest degradation, burn indigenous lands
- Venezuela’s Mining Arc boom sweeps up Indigenous people and cultures
- Study: Amazon dams are disrupting ecologically vital flood pulses
- Indonesian ex-soldier among three jailed for illegal trade in Sumatran rhino, tiger parts
- Glimmer of hope as Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino shows signs of recovery
- Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino falls ill
- Indonesia seeks to slap money-laundering label on illegal fishing
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi