Airborne mapping of the northern part of the island of Borneo has revealed that forests there pack some of the highest levels of carbon on the planet, even in a…
A conservation technology team at WWF-UK has produced a series of best-practice guidelines for three key data collection techniques—camera trapping, passive acoustic monitoring, and remote sensing through Light Detection and…
Scientists and conservationists have long believed that the rapid loss of Southeast Asia’s old-growth, “primary” rainforests in recent decades would leave one of its most iconic inhabitants, the orangutan, with…
Using sophisticated software to analyze images from drone-mounted cameras could provide cheap, timely and detailed information on tree growth, seasonal forest dynamics and other key metrics.
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- For Papuan villagers practicing conservation, a bid to formalize the familiar
- In rural Indonesia, a village learns to embrace its forest through sustainability
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
- Cash for conservation: Do payments for ecosystem services work?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- Latin America-Europe trade pact to include historic indigenous rights clause
- Militarization and mining a dangerous mix in Venezuelan Amazon
- Ferrogrão grain railway threatens Amazon indigenous groups, forest
- DNA analysis shows Sumatran rhinos peaked during last Ice Age, never recovered
- Petition for Indonesian government to save Sumatran rhino garners global support
- Biofuel project near India’s rhino heartland sparks protests
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains