Even as Donald Trump calls climate change a hoax, the U.S. military is recognizing it as a national security threat, and revving up to protect its bases and operations in a climate destabilized world.
Global Warming News
As big carbon storehouses, forests have the power to influence the climate. So much so that the protection and expansion of forests is a key part of the Paris Agreement,…
Pres. Trump’s 2018 budget would kill new satellites vital to climate research and weather forecasting, hobbling international science. A congressional budget vote may come next week.
Audio: Lessons from indigenous peoples about coping with climate change, plus the call of the night parrot
Happy new year to all our listeners out there! On our first episode of 2018, we speak with the author of a book about the resilience of indigenous peoples in…
2017 was third-hottest year on record in U.S. and costliest in terms of extreme weather and climate disasters
According to data released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association yesterday, 2017 was the third-hottest year on record in the United States. That wasn’t the only climate-related record the…
Vast swaths of the world’s oceans are turning into “dead zones” as global warming and pollution strips them of oxygen, threatening marine life on a massive scale, a new study…
While Pres. Trump’s 2018 budget remains in limbo, international environmental organizations and the UN stand to lose big if Congress okays his cuts. Still, global momentum is building for conservation and climate action, say policymakers.
Coral bleaching has accelerated to a clip at which established reefs can no longer keep up, reports a team of scientists Thursday in the journal Science. Severe bleaching can blot…
Weeks of flooding in Bangladesh in August 2017 reportedly claimed the lives of over 100 people, displaced tens of thousands more, and destroyed more than one million acres of crops.…
Mongabay published hundreds of stories on forests in 2017. Here are some of our favorites. 1. Rebel road expansion brings deforestation to remote Colombian Amazon With the demobilization of Colombia’s…
As nations try to stem emissions to keep the world from warming more than 2 degrees Celsius in line with their commitments towards the Paris Accord, replacing fossil fuels with…
In an uncertain world, UNESCO’s environmental, sustainability and peace programs benefit all nations; Trump’s U.S. pullout most deeply hurts Americans, say experts.
The Global Landscape Forum met in Bonn this week and advocated for altering farming practices planet-wide to boost food security, profitability and soil carbon sequestration.
Habitat fragmentation and biomass reduction on isolated forest islands at the Balbina dam – with trees replaced by lianas – resulted in increased carbon emissions.
Parts of the EU-Mercosur trade deal, leaked by Greenpeace, reveal incentives to radically push Latin American soy and beef production and exports, putting rainforests and global climate at risk.
Given that Donald Trump tweeted in 2012 that he believes concern about global warming is the result of a ploy by China to make American manufacturing less competitive, and then…
As the world recommitted to Paris carbon cuts last month, Britain and Brazil have moved to tap 176 billion barrels of undersea oil, risking further climate destabilization.
This Atlantic hurricane season saw six Category 3-5 storms batter the Caribbean. Some already threatened species, especially birds, took a major hit. Others endured.
Here’s a great way to visualize the huge potential of forest conservation and restoration as ‘natural climate solutions’
Recent research found that 20 different “natural climate solutions” have the potential to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 23.8 billion metric tons every year — and…
Brazil is fast-tracking the Ferrogrão grain railway planned for the Tapajós Basin without prior environmental review, and despite protests from indigenous groups.
Conservation in madagascar
- Madagascar: Conservation official arrested for killing 11 endangered lemurs
- Will Madagascar’s industrial shrimp trawlers make way for local fishers?
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
Indonesias forest guardians
- In eastern Indonesia, a forest tribe pushes back against miners and loggers
- Faith in the forest helps Indonesia’s Dayaks keep plantations, loggers at bay
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- FSC-certified timber importer failed to check legality of shipment from Cameroon
- Ecotourism payments for more wildlife sightings linked to conservation benefits in Laos
- Restoration optimism: Bringing nature back (commentary)
- Small hydropower a big global issue overlooked by science and policy
- Andes dams twice as numerous as thought are fragmenting the Amazon
- Norsk Hydro accused of Amazon toxic spill, admits ‘clandestine pipeline’
- Save the Sumatran rhino ‘because we can’ (commentary)
- Javan rhino population holds steady amid ever-present peril
- Indonesia hints rhino sperm transfer to Malaysia may finally happen this year
- Plastic not so fantastic for Bali’s iconic manta rays
- On an island of plenty, a community tempered by waves braces for rising seas
- Duterte orders navy to fire on foreign poachers in Philippine waters