In this, the second of six articles, Sue Branford explores the history of BNDES and examines some of the criticisms that have been levelled at the lender. razil’s BNDES (Banco…
Adélia Marinho de Souza’s cottage garden is a hidden treasure. You leave behind the rough pavement, rank-smells, and sewage-contaminated streets of the city of Altamira in the state of Pará…
hinese construction companies are trying to gain a larger foothold on infrastructure projects — especially hydroelectric dams — in the Amazon, a region and sector in which large Brazilian construction…
Last month, when biologist Chris Filardi from the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), and his team, were traipsing across Guadalcanal Island in the Solomon Archipelago surveying its biodiversity, they…
report released last month finds that some human impacts on the natural world are slowing, and others have even started to decline. The report’s authors cite this as evidence for…
Media coverage of ruins raises controversy among scientists, but leads to stepped-up protection efforts in long-neglected region Temple at Tikal, a Mayan city in Guatemala. Photo by: Rhett A. Butler.…
Straw-colored fruit bat (Eidolon helvum) at the Zoological Garden Berlin, Germany. This species, along with other fruit bats, is present in the Ebola impacted area and may have been a…
Filming for Eaten Alive. The capture of a 19 foot 200-plus pound anaconda was a great experience for us, and she was the first anaconda to ever ingest a radio…
Modern day expeditions face a collection dilemma as scientists consider ethics and endangerment A tray of Eriocnemis (a genus of hummingbird) specimens, Swedish Museum of Natural History - Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet,Stockholm,…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- For Papuan villagers practicing conservation, a bid to formalize the familiar
- In rural Indonesia, a village learns to embrace its forest through sustainability
- Protecting a forest in the land of the Indonesian deer-pig
- Experience or evidence: How do big conservation NGOs make decisions?
- Does community-based forest management work in the tropics?
- Cash for conservation: Do payments for ecosystem services work?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Indonesia’s big development push in Papua: Q&A with program overseer Judith J. Dipodiputro
- Latin America-Europe trade pact to include historic indigenous rights clause
- Militarization and mining a dangerous mix in Venezuelan Amazon
- Ferrogrão grain railway threatens Amazon indigenous groups, forest
- DNA analysis shows Sumatran rhinos peaked during last Ice Age, never recovered
- Petition for Indonesian government to save Sumatran rhino garners global support
- Biofuel project near India’s rhino heartland sparks protests
- Indonesians race to save their disappearing lakes, before it’s too late
- Indonesians plant trees to nurse seagrass back to health in Wakatobi
- Jakarta reclamation project allowed to resume, but opposition remains