The Interior Dept. is holding the biggest oil lease sale ever next week, and trying to extend drilling to all U.S. coasts, but experts say Trump’s plan for “energy dominance” is economically and environmentally flawed.
Climate Change Denial News
Even as Donald Trump calls climate change a hoax, the U.S. military is recognizing it as a national security threat, and revving up to protect its bases and operations in a climate destabilized world.
Pres. Trump’s 2018 budget would kill new satellites vital to climate research and weather forecasting, hobbling international science. A congressional budget vote may come next week.
While Pres. Trump’s 2018 budget remains in limbo, international environmental organizations and the UN stand to lose big if Congress okays his cuts. Still, global momentum is building for conservation and climate action, say policymakers.
19-nation pledge would reduce coal use by 3 percent; COP23 failed to see developed nations ramp up carbon targets, or offer real pathway for financing climate aid to developing nations.
In Bonn, Trump administration delegation provides cover for developed nations to stall financing for climate adaptation and loss for world’s most impacted developing nations.
When Pres. Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Agreement last June, France and Germany offered U.S. climate researchers the opportunity to emigrate. Some are responding to the call.
Trump advisors and fossil fuel industry reps argued that “energy security and economic development” trumped climate action; they were met with derision and disbelief by the COP23 audience.
U.S. subnationals – states, cities, companies and colleges – spoke out Saturday at COP23 in open rebellion against Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Agreement.
There was standing-room-only at a COP23 event as the world watched U.S. senators, governors, mayors and corporations take on responsibility shirked by Trump and federal government.
As negotiations begin in Bonn, the U.S. Fourth National Climate Assessment, and a World Meteorological Organization report negate Trump’s climate denialism; US isolated at COP23.
Trump’s 2018 budget, if adopted, threatens to kill already precarious Northwest salmon fisheries — crippling the local economies of US and Canadian communities and tribal nations.
When Donald Trump pulled the US from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TTP), it dashed plans to increase beef exports to Japan. But trade deals like TTP, which don’t address climate change, remain a looming environmental threat, as does rising global beef consumption.
As Trump firms build golf courses in Southeast Asia, imitating the Scottish landscape where the game was born, tropical habitat and aquifers are put at risk, according to environmentalists.
While Trump loudly trumpets coal, he clears way for U.S. firms to partner with India on natural gas and nuclear plants. Other needed clean energy cooperation is lacking.
Donald Trump has proposed reducing U.S. foreign aid and U.N. support for climate change programs to zero, with possible repercussions in Africa.
USAID has improved rural climate change resilience since 2013; now the U.S. may cut that lifeline, with dire results for Zimbabwe’s poorest.
“I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris,” U.S. President Donald Trump declared during a speech announcing his decision to pull the United States out of the…
On this episode, we welcome marine biologist and director of Greenpeace USA’s oceans campaigns John Hocevar. When the Greenpeace ship Esperanza embarked on an expedition earlier this year to document…
On May 24, a grim-faced Pope Francis handed a signed copy of Laudato Si to President Trump during his visit to Rome. The U.S. president, who has called climate change…
- Murder of activist in India highlights growing risk to environmental defenders
- Number of murdered environmental activists rose once again in 2017
- Indonesia to investigate death of journalist being held for defaming palm oil company
Indonesias forest guardians
- Papuan chef Charles Toto serves up sustainability and environmental protection in a platter
- In eastern Indonesia, a forest tribe pushes back against miners and loggers
- Faith in the forest helps Indonesia’s Dayaks keep plantations, loggers at bay
- Forest communities pay the price for conservation in Madagascar
- Conservation Effectiveness series sparks action, dialogue
- Response to critique on Conservation Effectiveness series (commentary)
- Brazilian elections and the environment: where top candidates stand
- Community-run trading posts help Amazon forest people reverse rural exodus
- Ruralists in Brazilian congress put nation’s protected areas at risk
- In protecting the Javan rhino, locals gain a ‘more meaningful life’
- Rhino poop gives villagers in India a conservation incentive
- In its fight against rhino poachers, India lets the dogs out
- Indonesia, a top plastic polluter, mobilizes 20,000 citizens to clean up the mess
- As Bali reclamation project dies, activists seek conservation status
- Another mass fish kill hits Indonesia’s largest lake