The Nebraska Public Service Commission has rejected TransCanada’s preferred tar sands pipeline route through the state, while okaying an alternate route that could mean years of legal hurdles.
Climate Activism News
19-nation pledge would reduce coal use by 3 percent; COP23 failed to see developed nations ramp up carbon targets, or offer real pathway for financing climate aid to developing nations.
In Bonn, Trump administration delegation provides cover for developed nations to stall financing for climate adaptation and loss for world’s most impacted developing nations.
Trump advisors and fossil fuel industry reps argued that “energy security and economic development” trumped climate action; they were met with derision and disbelief by the COP23 audience.
U.S. subnationals – states, cities, companies and colleges – spoke out Saturday at COP23 in open rebellion against Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Agreement.
There was standing-room-only at a COP23 event as the world watched U.S. senators, governors, mayors and corporations take on responsibility shirked by Trump and federal government.
As negotiations begin in Bonn, the U.S. Fourth National Climate Assessment, and a World Meteorological Organization report negate Trump’s climate denialism; US isolated at COP23.
Scientist, activist and elder Dr. David Suzuki sounds off on Trump, Canada’s Blue Dot amendment to protect the environment, and about stonewash jean mania.
What can you do that transcends climate policy and unites us all in a better, more resilient future? Imagine writing a letter to your children about climate change that they’ll…
Just one week after thousands of people marched at Earth Day events across the globe to support science and research, over 200,000 more took to the streets of cities worldwide…
The marchers didn’t stop all day, defiant of the chill and the rain, the Trump administration and Congress: “We’re nerds. We’re wet. We’re really, really upset!” “We don’t care what…
ROME, Italy: As she immersed herself in yet another global humanitarian crisis — with the intent of lending a hand and her voice — iconic Americana singer-songwriter Emmylou Harris pointed…
BONN – The opening of the United Nation’s annual mid-year climate conference in Bonn Germany offered up dramatically contrasting messages this week: national leaders and political negotiators congratulated themselves, proudly…
Last month, over a hundred representatives from zoos and aquariums around the world joined climate activism group, 350.org, pledging that their institutions would take action against global warming, including the…
The cities of San Francisco and Seattle have pulled their money out of fossil fuel companies, taking a climate divestment campaign from college campuses to local government. The campaign group…
A portion of the tar sands in Alberta as viewed from the air in 2006. Some have dubbed this the 'largest energy project in the world.' Yesterday, climate activists marched…
Protestor against Keystone XL Pipeline escorted away after arrest in 2010. Photo by: Josh Lopez/Tar Sands Action. Hours after President Obama's historic re-election, climate group 350.org announced a massive rally…
In British Colombia a group of concerned residents, along with scientists, blocked four trains of Wyoming coal bound for Asia. Thirteen were arrested. Photo courtesy of: 350.org. Thirteen Canadians were…
Activists hold a banner in front of a damaged coral reef in the vulnerable Marshall islands. Rising temperatures and increased CO2 uptake are raising the acidity of the ocean, which…
Conservation in madagascar
- Audio: Amazon tribe’s traditional medicine encyclopedia gets an update, and conservation effectiveness in Madagascar examined
- CITES rejects Madagascar’s bid to sell rosewood and ebony stockpiles
- Abandoned by their sponsors, Madagascar’s orphaned parks struggle on
Indonesias forest guardians
- Faith in the forest helps Indonesia’s Dayaks keep plantations, loggers at bay
- Reliance on natural healing cultivates respect for nature in Indonesian village
- In a Papuan district, tribes push to revive a legacy of sustainability
- Restoration optimism: Bringing nature back (commentary)
- The ups and downs of marine protected areas: Examining the evidence
- Do protected areas work in the tropics?
Southeast asian infrastructure
- Roads, dams and railways: Ten infrastructure stories from Southeast Asia in 2017
- Indonesian conservation bill stirs debate over geothermal rigs, private guards
- Can the Solomon Islands’ Gold Ridge Mine serve as a new model for resource extraction in the South Pacific?
- Venezuela: can a failing state protect its environment and its people?
- Maduro seeks sell off of Venezuela’s natural resources to escape debt – analysis
- Record Amazon fires, intensified by forest degradation, burn indigenous lands
- Indonesia hints rhino sperm transfer to Malaysia may finally happen this year
- Indonesian ex-soldier among three jailed for illegal trade in Sumatran rhino, tiger parts
- Glimmer of hope as Malaysia’s last female Sumatran rhino shows signs of recovery
- Duterte orders navy to fire on foreign poachers in Philippine waters
- Indonesian police bust Chinese nationals with 200 kg of turtle shells
- Indonesia buckles to protests against seine fishing ban