Use Mongabay content: Creative Commons
Mongabay articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
We strongly encourage anyone to republish stories that appear here either online and in print, as long as you follow some simple guidelines:
- You must credit the author as listed on the original article (ideally in the byline), and Mongabay as the source, and also provide a link back to the specific web address of the article on Mongabay’s website (not the Mongabay homepage).
- Mongabay articles are published under the Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) Creative Commons license. That means you cannot translate our features (see below for more information) or edit/change the material except to reflect relative changes in time, location, or basic editorial style (for example, “yesterday” can be changed to “last week,” and “London, UK.” to “London” or “here”, and “organization” to “organisation”). Mentions of Mongabay within articles can also be redacted, for example from “The author told Mongabay” to “The author said.” To request material edits contact us.
- If you are republishing online, you must link to the original story and include the original links embedded in the story.
- Headlines should be rewritten, as doing so works better for Mongabay and for republishers, as well — otherwise our version and a republisher’s will come up during the same web search.
- It is okay to put our articles on pages with ads, but you cannot sell our material separately. Similarly, please do not republish Mongabay stories behind paywalls that require readers to pay or register for an account in order to view.
- About translations: please contact [email protected] if you want to translate one of our stories, because a.) our license does not support this use of our content, so you will need special permission first, and b.) since Mongabay’s team is constantly translating its features into various languages, you may be able to use one of our translations that is already available or currently in process, instead of starting one of your own.
- If you are republishing a story that has already been translated or is going to be, you must credit the translator as well as the author. As with the text of original Mongabay stories, please do not alter translations except to reflect relative changes in time, location, and basic editorial style, as noted above.
- Please pay attention to photo permissions. If a photo in the original piece is credited as belonging to either Mongabay or the author of the piece you are republishing, you have permission to use the photo as is, unchanged, with the same caption/credit as used in the original piece. If an image is copyright of another photographer or illustrator and you would like to reproduce it, contact us. Some sources don’t allow their images to be republished without permission.
Read more about our Republishing Guidelines.
If you have further questions about republishing Mongabay content, please contact rights(at)mongabay.com.