Residents of Palawan Island in the Philippines have united to take on the companies that they say have grabbed their land.
Mongabay series: Global Palm Oil
Sustainable Palm Oil Manifesto group’s High Carbon Stock forests study would continue business as usual, environmentalists say
In the wake of escalating public attention to the impact of palm oil plantations on the environment and global climate, a new report commissioned by signatories to the Sustainable Palm…
Palm oil plantations often wreak havoc on biodiversity. But researchers may now have hit upon a win-win solution that allows freshwater fish to thrive in streams within palm oil plantations. Retaining…
One year after New York Declaration on Forests, less progress on cattle and soy than on palm oil and timber
Palm oil is one of the most popular vegetable oils in the world, though much of it comes with well-documented, severe impacts for forests and the people who depend on…
With fire-driven haze casting a pall over Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore, the palm oil industry is facing intense pressure to clean up its act. While most big companies have adopted…
palm oil company remains at the heart of conflict in northern Guatemala, months after a mass fish die-off. A day after company operations were suspended pending further investigation into the…
Critics say funding for palm oil monitoring is "woefully inadequate."
The authors of a study published this week say riverbank forests could hold a key to saving frogs on palm oil plantations.
Two giant retailers and a major baking company have announced new policies that establish stronger guidelines for palm oil sourcing. As reported by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), Target…
wo weeks ago, senior Indonesian officials slammed a commitment by five giant palm oil companies to purge their supply chains of deforestation, saying it hurts farmers, usurps the government's authority…
ith the demand landscape for Indonesian palm oil set for a seismic shift from export to domestic consumption, the result of a huge new government intervention, experts are wondering how…
Conservationists and industry stakeholders suggest long and short-term solutions to increase India's uptake of sustainable palm oil.
Will India use its influence as the world's top importer of palm oil to push sustainability?
Norway’s central bank is divesting the country’s $870 billion pension fund of its holdings in four Asian multinationals over rainforest destruction for palm oil in Southeast Asia, the bank announced…
Palm oil production companies maintain palm oil expansion will bring good jobs to Liberia, but critics say that's not the case.
Some communities are eager to participate Liberia's expanding palm oil industry, while others say their land was taken from them without their permission.
- Iran upholds heavy sentences for conservationists convicted of spying
- Two deaths trigger alarm at Mexico’s Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve
- Fighting to save an endangered ape, Indonesian activists fear for their lives
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Database offers new details on the dams that hold mining waste
- Xavante tribe digs in as Brazil reneges on vow not to build a road in their reserve
- Vale has filed hundreds of requests to exploit indigenous lands in Amazon
- Indonesia-WWF split puts rhino breeding project in Borneo in limbo
- Indonesian officials wield sharia law in defense of Sumatran rhinos
- Love triangle complicates efforts to breed Sumatran rhinos
- In Bali, young people lead the fight as a plastic plague threatens paradise
- Investigation reveals loopholes for illegal shark fin exports from Indonesia
- Video: Mika Ganobal, the civil servant who risked his job to save his homeland