The MAAP project integrates a range of satellite imagery and analysis tools to detect and disclose deforestation across the Peruvian Amazon.
Articles by Suzanne Palminteri
Global Forest Watch enables you to monitor tree cover and forest change for your region of interest in a free online platform.
SkyTruth’s FrackFinder project combines remote sensing, cloud computing, and an engaged public to map drilling and hydraulic fracturing using crowd-sourced image analysis of satellite and aerial imagery.
An innovative use of an open-source animal monitoring platform to examine impacts of hunting dogs on wildlife
Internet use is critical for modern business, learning, and communication yet varies widely across the globe, whereas mobile phone use is common nearly everywhere.
Most African elephant ivory is from a very few places A study published last week in Science showed that most of the ivory being trafficked today comes from two areas…
A very alert snow leopard. Photo credit: Bernard Landgraf, Wikimedia Commons. Conservation work is important not just in tropical rainforests, but also in snow-covered peaks and steep slopes, the home…
Tigers are endangered by demand for their bones and pelts. Photos by Rhett A. Butler. In a recent stand to help reduce hunting of endangered wildlife, first South African Airlines…
- Iran sentences eight conservationists convicted of spying
- Watchdog denounces arrests of four anti-mining activists in Indonesia
- Activists fighting for their lands swept up in Philippines crackdown
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- On a wing and a prayer? Evidence for ways to conserve bats (commentary)
- Audio: The sounds of a rare New Zealand bird reintroduced to its native habitat
- Brazil works behind scene to greenlight Manaus-Boa Vista transmission line
- Yanomami Amazon reserve invaded by 20,000 miners; Bolsonaro fails to act
- Amazon infrastructure puts 68% of indigenous lands / protected areas at risk: report
- Malaysia’s last Sumatran rhino dies, leaving Indonesia as the final refuge
- Indonesia plans IVF for recently captured Sumatran rhino
- Malaysian attempt at Sumatran rhino IVF fails on low quality of sperm
- Indonesia zoning plan hurts fishers, favors coal and oil, activists say
- Indonesian man jailed for smuggling 7,000 ‘living fossil’ horseshoe crabs
- Indonesia’s new fisheries minister may go easy on trawl nets, poachers’ boats