The MAAP project integrates a range of satellite imagery and analysis tools to detect and disclose deforestation across the Peruvian Amazon.
Articles by Suzanne Palminteri
Global Forest Watch enables you to monitor tree cover and forest change for your region of interest in a free online platform.
SkyTruth’s FrackFinder project combines remote sensing, cloud computing, and an engaged public to map drilling and hydraulic fracturing using crowd-sourced image analysis of satellite and aerial imagery.
An innovative use of an open-source animal monitoring platform to examine impacts of hunting dogs on wildlife
Internet use is critical for modern business, learning, and communication yet varies widely across the globe, whereas mobile phone use is common nearly everywhere.
Most African elephant ivory is from a very few places A study published last week in Science showed that most of the ivory being trafficked today comes from two areas…
A very alert snow leopard. Photo credit: Bernard Landgraf, Wikimedia Commons. Conservation work is important not just in tropical rainforests, but also in snow-covered peaks and steep slopes, the home…
Tigers are endangered by demand for their bones and pelts. Photos by Rhett A. Butler. In a recent stand to help reduce hunting of endangered wildlife, first South African Airlines…
- ‘Weird’ police probe rules Indonesian activist died in drink-driving crash
- Suspicions of murder in death of Indonesian environmental activist
- Oil palm, cattle and coca take a toll on Colombia’s indigenous Jiw
Indonesias forest guardians
- Reforesting a village in Indonesia, one batch of gourmet beans at a time
- Restoring Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, one small farm at a time
- Indigenous Iban community defends rainforests, but awaits lands rights recognition
- Failure in conservation projects: Everyone experiences it, few record it
- Wilderness cuts the risk of extinction for species in half
- Chimps in Sierra Leone adapt to human-impacted habitats, but threats remain
- Yanomami Amazon reserve invaded by 20,000 miners; Bolsonaro fails to act
- Amazon infrastructure puts 68% of indigenous lands / protected areas at risk: report
- Amazon fish kill at Sinop spotlights risk from 80+ Tapajós basin dams
- Malaysian attempt at Sumatran rhino IVF fails on low quality of sperm
- At India’s Assam Zoo, decades of experience lead to rhino-breeding success
- For India’s flood-hit rhinos, refuge depends increasingly on humans
- Bali mangrove bay is now a conservation zone, nixing reclamation plan
- Saving Aru: The epic battle to save the islands that inspired the theory of evolution
- As wildfires roil Sumatra, some villages have abandoned the burning